What are the most common causes of Sarasota bicycle crashes?
The following is a list of several conditions causing these accidents:
- Distracted driving
- Rolling right turns
- Poor road conditions
- Drivers impaired by age, physical limitations, or substance abuse
- Dog attacks
- Defective design or repairs of the bike
- Misjudging the amount of space needed to pass
- Bike rider turning into the path of the car or truck
- Yielding error by either party at an intersection or crosswalk
- Car door accidents, where a sudden door opening strikes a biker
What can be done to prevent Sarasota bicycle accidents?
Since the potential causes of Sarasota bike accidents are so numerous and varied, it is essential that drivers take several safety precautions when biking. These preventative measures include:
- Wearing brightlycolored, reflective clothing
- Using a headlight at night
- Slowing down
- Wearing a helmet at all times
- Using a horn to make automobiles aware of your presence
- Signaling turns
- Avoiding dangerous intersections where possible
The most important of all safety measures is the use of a properly fitting helmet that is secured to the head by a strap. The helmet may not only save lives, it can also reduce the severity of brain injuries from an accident. In the state of Florida, bicyclists under the age of 16 are required to wear a helmet at all times.
If you were injured in a Florida bicycle accident, it is essential that you have the help of an experienced Sarasota bicycle accident lawyer to guide you through the legal process. Complete our online submission form or call our office at (888) 409-3805 for a complimentary consultation.