When travelling on Florida’s highways, all drivers must pay close attention to their surroundings to protect themselves, their passengers, other motorists, and pedestrians. In work zone areas, an even greater level of focus is required. Lanes may be narrowed, drivers may have to read new traffic signs, and workers are standing in a dangerous path as they make repairs. It is the responsibility of all motorists to do their part to avoid Sarasota work zone accidents.
In addition to the given dangers involved when work zones are positioned on roadways frequented by motor vehicles, the following factors may also increase the likelihood of a Sarasota car crash:
- Time of day: More than half of all work zone crashes resulting in fatalities occur at night, when visibility is decreased.
- Use of alcohol or drugs: Approximately one-quarter of all work zone crashes resulting in fatalities involve the use of alcohol or drugs. These substances impair the judgment of a driver, reduce reaction time, and cause drowsiness. All of these factors, combined with the heightened need for focus in a work zone and narrowed roadways, can result in a recipe for disaster.
- Speeding: Over half of all work zone crashes involve speeding. When traveling at a speed that is higher than the posted limit, the driver has less time to stop, swerve, or avoid work zone materials or crew members.
- Drowsiness and fatigue: Drivers who are not adequately rested are not able to react in time to accommodate changes in traffic patterns and pedestrian work zone professionals positioned near passing cars.
- Distracted driving: Fiddling with navigation systems or radios, texting, or talking on cell phones are all examples of how drivers can become distracted. Unfortunately, it only takes a split second loss of focus to result in a deadly accident in a work zone.
Fortunately, work zone accidents are preventable. Florida drivers must do their part to avoid engaging in risky behaviors that increase the likelihood of a crash. If you or a loved one suffered a Florida work zone accident, contacting an experienced Sarasota accident attorney is important for protecting your legal rights. Complete our online submission form or call our office at (888) 409-3805 for a complimentary consultation.