Pedestrians constantly have to be on the lookout for distracted drivers, red light runners and drivers who violate their right of way. No matter how safe a pedestrian is, he may become a victim of a Sarasota pedestrian accident due to no fault of his own.
When a car slams into a pedestrian and sends that person flying through the air, the victim may suffer fatal injuries. However if the victim is lucky enough to have survived, he may be left with serious internal injuries and broken ribs following a Florida pedestrian accident.
It takes a lot of force to cause broken ribs, and the main cause of broken ribs is motor vehicle accidents. This is especially the case for pedestrians who are unprotected when a car collides into them and causes their chests to hit the vehicle, windshield or ground with great force.
When a pedestrian is injured in a crash, he needs to look for signs of a broken rib. These include, but are not limited to:
- Sharp pain that increases with movement
- Swelling of the chest
- Shortness of breath and difficulty breathing
- Sound of crunching in the chest
If a pedestrian experiences one of these symptoms, it is important to have a doctor perform necessary medical tests to determine if there is a broken rib. Because ribs surround the body’s internal organs, a person with a broken rib can also suffer internal injuries to other organs. When ribs break, they can sometimes tear or rupture the surrounding internal organs such as the spleen, lungs, and liver.
- Splenic rupture: Unfortunately, if a rib fractures and causes the spleen to rupture, it can be life threatening.
- Punctured lung: A broken rib can puncture a lung, making it hard for the victim to breathe. Additionally, blood can fill the lungs and require immediate medical treatment.
- Liver Injury: When blunt trauma to the right lower chest occurs, the liver can tear or rupture if the broken rib punctures the organ.
Many injured pedestrians have died from their internal injuries; however, many have also lived because they got medical care immediately following the accident. When victims suffer injuries in Sarasota pedestrian accidents caused by negligent drivers, they have rights to hold the reckless drivers responsible for their actions.
If you were a victim of a pedestrian accident, you may need help seeking justice and just compensation while you heal from your injuries. Call a skilled Sarasota accident attorney at the Mallard Law Firm today for a free, no-obligation consultation at (888) 409-3805.