We at the Mallard Law Firm like to keep you informed. Are you aware there are several intersections with red light cameras in operation?
If you run a red light at an intersection with a traffic camera in Sarasota, Florida, you will get a ticket in the mail.
Red light cameras are located at the following intersections in Sarasota:
- SB S Tuttle Ave @ Bahia Vista St.
- EB Bahia Vista St @ S Tuttle Ave.
- NB N Washington Blvd @ Fruitville Rd.
- EB Fruitville Rd @ N Washington Blvd.
- WB Fruitville Rd @ N Tuttle Ave.
- NB N Tamiami Trail / US 41 @ University Pkwy.
- SB N Tamiami Trail / US 41 @ University Pkwy.
- NB S Tamiami Trail / US 41 @ Bee Ridge Rd.
- SB S Tamiami Trail / US 41 @ Bee Ridge Rd.
- WB Bee Ridge Rd @ S Tamiami Trail / US 41.
- SB N. Lockwood Ridge Rd. @ Fruitville Blvd.
- WB Fruitville Rd. @ N. Lockwood Ridge Rd.
- NB S Tuttle Ave. @ Bahia Vista St.
- SB N. Washington Blvd @ 17th St.
- SB N. Tuttle Ave. @ Fruitville Rd.
- EB Fruitville Rd. @ N. Lockwood Ridge Rd.
- SB N. Beneva Rd. @ Fruitville Rd.
- NB S. Tamiami Tr. / US 41 @ Siesta Dr.
- NB S. Tamiami Tr. / US 41 @ Bahia Vista St.
- SB S. Tamiami Tr. / US 41 @ Bahia Vista St.
You may be asking yourself, when is running a red light considered running a red light in the opinion of the law? According to the Sarasota Police Department, a red light violation occurs when a motorist crosses over the white stop line after the traffic signal has turned red. However, if you are already in the intersection when the light turns red, you will not be considered a red light runner, therefore you will not receive a citation.
A red-light violation occurs if the motorist completes a right turn on red in a non-careful and prudent manner. A red-light violation also occurs when a motorist completes a right turn at the intersection labelled “no right on red”.
If you receive a red light violation the fine in $158.00. Also, you will not receive points on your driver’s license if paid by the due date.
The attorneys at the Mallard Law Firm are here if you have any questions regarding this topic. For more information please visit the Sarasota Police Department website.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 22% of all traffic accidents in the United States are caused by drivers running red lights.
Red light cameras serve as a warning against traffic violations, and they help police keep track of the worst offenders. They are also a good source of government revenue. It doesn't cost much to maintain the system once it's installed, and it works 24 hours a day, seven days a week, systematically catching violators and sending out revenue-generating traffic tickets that are really hard to contest.