Painful and awkward, a broken collarbone is often the result of a Sarasota motorcycle accident. It can take several weeks or months to heal and may impact the victim’s ability to carry on his typical daily activities. The following is an overview of this injury and its causes, including those caused by Florida motorcycle crashes.
A broken collarbone is a common break that is painful and debilitating. The collarbone, also known as a clavicle, is located near the shoulder and is one of the three bones contained in the shoulder joint. It connects the shoulder blade to the sternum. After an accident or fall, the collarbone absorbs the shock and subsequently breaks.
Broken collarbones are frequently caused by Sarasota motorcycle wrecks. This injury often occurs when:
- The motorcycle driver falls off of the bike and onto an outstretched hand or arm
- The motorcycle driver falls and the impact occurs on the outside of the shoulder
- The motorcycle is involved in a crash and the collarbone is directly hit
Following a Sarasota motorcycle accident, the driver should be checked for a broken collarbone if he or she exhibits any of the following symptoms:
- Pain and swelling to the area
- Hearing a snap in the area
- Grinding or cracking feeling in the area
- Inability to lift the arm or move it fully
- Lump forms in the area
- Shoulder is sagging
- The arm is pale, numb, or tingles
The pain of a broken collarbone can interfere with a victim’s quality of life. Often, motorcycle accidents are caused by the negligence of other motorists traveling on Florida roadways. If you suffered a collarbone injury, you may be entitled to damages for your losses. It is essential that you consult a Sarasotamotorcycle accidentlawyer to take the proper steps for protecting your legal rights. Complete our online submission form or call our office at (888) 409-3805 for a complimentary consultation.