Nearly everyone is aware of the dangers associated with riding a bicycle on or near a roadway frequented by cars and trucks. In the event of a Sarasota bicycle accident, the bicyclist has no outward protection from the impact with the automobile. The cyclist is, therefore, far more likely to suffer injuries than the driver of the motor vehicle. The real facts and statistics behind the frequency of these accidents may be surprising.
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, between 1975 and 2002:
- Bicycle deaths occurred more frequently in the summer months.
- Bicycle deaths occurred more frequently on Fridays and Saturdays between 3 and 9 p.m.
- 660 bicyclists were killed in collisions with automobiles in 2002.
- 59% of bicycle deaths among children under age 13 and 27% of bicycle deaths among adults took place on minor roads.
- On major roadways, adult bicyclists are more likely than younger people to die following an accident.
Additionally, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that:
- In 2009, 630 people were killed following a pedalcyclist accident. The term “pedalcyclist” refers to drivers of bicycles or other non-motorized vehicles powered by pedals, such as a unicycle.
- 70% of these fatalities occurred in urban areas.
- 36% of the fatalities occurred at an intersection.
- Between 2000 – 2009, the average age of pedacyclists killed was 39, and the average age of those injured was 29.
- In 2009, 80% of pedacyclists injured were male.
If you were injured in a Florida bicycle crash, you may be entitled to damages for your injuries and suffering. It is essential that you have the help of an experienced Sarasotabicycle accidentlawyerto guide you through the legal process. Complete our online submission form or call our office at (888) 409-3805 for a complimentary consultation.