Go to navigation Go to content
Toll-Free: 888-409-3805
Phone: 941-952-1682
Free Consultation! 888-409-3805

Call or E-mail us Today!

Fill out our contact form below and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

What are the damages I can hold a drunk driver accountable for after he killed my husband in a drunk driving crash?



We are sorry to hear that you lost your husband to a drunk driver. When a driver willingly acts recklessly and disregards the safety of others, that driver can be held accountable to the fullest. This means that not only will you be able to pursue compensatory damages, you can also seek punitive damages.

Compensatory damages cover financial and emotional losses, such as medical bills, funeral expenses, lost wages, loss of future earning capacity, mental anguish, and instances of pain and suffering. Punitive damages, in contrast, are designed to punish the driver for his negligent actions; however, these damages won’t be awarded until the court determines the driver behaved with reckless disregard for public safety.

In order to get the maximum compensation available in your case, you should speak with an experienced accident attorney about your rights to a wrongful death lawsuit. With this type of suit, you may be entitled to damages listed above as well as for the loss of companionship, loss of consortium, loss of support, loss of a loved one, loss of services, and other losses. If you and your husband have children, your kids may also be able to collect for certain losses.

Sadly, many victims lose their lives every year—especially during the holidays—due to drunk drivers. Because many drivers get behind the wheel of their cars intoxicated, families of those victims need to hold drunk drivers accountable for their wrongful actions. To learn more about your rights to compensation, request a free copy of our book, What You Need to Know After a Florida Auto, Truck, or Bike Accident.

Damian Mallard, Esq.
Connect with me
Board Certified Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney