Highlights of the Florida bicycle law are as follows:
- A bicycle rider under the age of 16 must wear a bicycle helmet.
- A bicycle passenger in a permanent attached seat under the age of 16 must wear a bicycle helmet.
- The bicycle helmet must be properly fitted.
- The helmet must be fastened securely to the head by a strap.
- The helmet must meet the standards of either:
- The American National Standards Institute
- The Snell Memorial Foundation
- Any other nationally recognized standards for bicycle helmets adopted by the Florida Department of Motor Vehicles.
Violators of the Florida helmet law may be issued any of the following:
- A warning
- A bicycle safety brochure
- A citation with a fine
If issued a fine, the violator may have the charge dismissed after showing proof of purchase of a bike helmet that complies with Florida law.
For more information about the important of bicycle helmets and the Florida helmet law, contact an experienced Sarasota bicycle accident attorney. Complete our online submission form or call our office at (888) 409-3805 for a complimentary consultation.