A Sarasota Bicycle Accident Lawyer Stresses Handlebar Injuries Every Bicyclist Should Know AboutBicyclists often ride in traffic or near parked cars. So, when a car cuts a cyclist off, turns into his lane or a parked car’s door opens into the path of a cyclist, a bicyclist can get seriously injured. When a bicyclist is involved in a Sarasota bicycle accident and flips over his handlebars or lands on his handlebars with all his weight, serious chest injuries can occur. Sometimes the injuries are so severe that the pain is the worst pain the bicyclist has ever felt.
Some examples of chest injuries that cyclists have suffered in Florida bicycle accidents include:
- Sternum fracture
- Broken rib
- Punctured lung
- Lacerated liver
- Internal bleeding and bruising
So, how do cyclists know if they have suffered serious chest injuries from their handlebars in a Sarasota bicycle accident? Besides chest pain that appears to get worse with deep breaths or movement, some other symptoms of chest injuries that cyclists should be aware of include:
- Trouble breathing – this could include shallow, rapid breathing or shortness of breath
- Chest bruising and swelling – when swelling appears on the outside, there may be internal injuries and bruising on the inside
- Lowered blood pressure – this occurs if there are internal injuries that are causing internal bleeding
- Weak, rapid pulse – trauma can cause hypotension
- Cyanosis – when a person is deprived sufficient oxygen, the body starts turning blue in color
Any of these chest injury symptoms could be caused by a punctured lung or a lacerated liver. If a chest injury is left untreated, it could lead to a fatal injury. This is why it is critical that if you experience even one of these signs or symptoms following a bicycle accident, that you go to the emergency room as soon as possible to get checked out.
Bicyclists need to be reminded that sometimes symptoms develop slowly over the hours and days following their crash, so they need to be on the lookout for any slight feelings of pain, difficulty breathing or changes in their health.
If you suffered a handlebar injury that resulted in a chest injury due to a negligent driver, you may have rights to a financial recovery for your medical bills, lost income due to time off of work and more. Call a knowledgeable Sarasota bicycle accident lawyer at the Mallard Law Firm and receive a free, no-obligation consultation today at (888) 409-3805.